How are you? How's your summer?
If you strictly want information about our next event, please look at the links to the right and go to Event Registration. Before you go, please check out the links at the bottom of this page.
Has it occurred to you that we're all salespeople? Whether you're applying for a job or presenting at a meeting, the product you're selling is yourself. Your skills, your credibility, your powers of persuasion are all tied in to how you communicate.
Our next speaker is Lynn Kirkham, an inspirational speaker and speaking coach. With 20 years of experience in sales, she has analyzed how people present themselves and how to improve those skills, and her knowledge has benefited herself and her clients.
I heard a science writer on the radio recently, and her communication style undermined her credibility. She had a habit of ending sentences going up the scale as if she were posing a question, not stating a fact. I don't know when this became so common, but I hear it a lot, mostly from women.
Are you undermining yourself? Please join us in a safe environment to learn and work on those important skills.
This is a reminder that I am going to move us away from maintaining the Forum and encourage you to use our LinkedIn Group for posting. This will be a gradual change on the technical side. More people are using LinkedIn than the forum at this point, and it has been challenging to register people, help them through password problems and other maintenance issues. It served a great purpose for a long time, and it was all my husband's idea. Bill is an Electrical Engineer but he learned some code, set up our board, and taught me how to update and maintain it. Many people have posted resumes, jobs and events over the years, and I know a lot of people found work as a result. It honestly makes me very happy and proud to know it was so successful. Thank you, Bill!
Many thanks to Diane Cusano for helping me plan and introduce last month's event with Allison West, Esq., SPHR. Her topic was "The Bully and the Bottom Line - Understanding and Preventing Workplace Bullying," and she gave us some valuable information, even sending participants copies of her presentation and a sample policy. Click on the Previous Speakers' link and search for a download of her article.
1. HR Women and Friends June 18 Event - 6/18/2014 “Your Voice, Your Feminine Power, Your Job” with Lynn Kirkham.
3. Using our Forum
4. Spam Filter Alert
5. To change you email address
7. Potential Speakers/Topics
8. Notifying us of upcoming events and discounts.
1. HR Women and Friends June 18 Event - 6/18/2014 “Your Voice, Your Feminine Power, Your Job” with Lynn Kirkham. Please click on the registration tab for detail and to RSVP. I hope you're able to attend!
2. Discounts and Offers – view them on our discount page. Thanks to everyone for extending the discounts to our group!
3. We have a Forum at www.ourhrsite.com/forum. I am going to move us away from maintaining the Forum and encourage you to use our LinkedIn Group for posting. On the Forum, you can view messages without registering, but you must register to reply or post a message. You are not automatically registered because you receive this email. Please review the Terms and Conditions available under any topic on the forum. It’s your responsibility to keep track of your user name and password, and if you change email addresses, please log in and update your profile. If privacy is an issue, please be careful when you post anything: use a separate email if necessary and you can skip your street address if you’d like.
4. SPAM Filter Alert: please add email@example.com to your address book.
5. To change your email address, click here and go to the correct form.
6. Unsubscribe: To discontinue mailings please respond with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line or go to the form. If you receive mail at more than one email address, please note all addresses to delete.
7. Potential Speakers/Topics. Please see http://ourhrsite.blogspot.com/p/potential-speakers.html for details and a form to submit your information. This will be reviewed during the January 2015 meeting.
8. Notifying us of upcoming events and discounts. If you email me right after I’ve sent a mailing, I can update the website, but I can’t send a separate mailing to the group. It will be in the next mailing.Because of my commitments I can’t mentor you, and please don’t send me unsolicited resumes. Come to an event and meet someone who can help. I receive a lot of unsolicited resumes (from our group and strangers) and I refer people to the forum at www.ourhrsite.com/forum. See the blog post for more thoughts. http://marciastein.blogspot.com/2009/02/setting-boundaries-and-professionalism.html
We have a page on our site for advertising with links to Amazon products. Our site also has Google ads, and you're welcome to click on relevant links. These links provide a small amount of money to help pay for our domain.
I hope to see you soon.
All the best,
Marcia Stein, PHR - www.linkedin.com/in/marciastein
Author: "Strained Relations: Help for Struggling Parents of Troubled Teens" and "Recruiters on Recruiting"