The first part of this email is dedicated to updates and musings, so if you want to skip to the invitation, discounts, and other information, please scroll down.
Our next event is July 20 and event details are on our website. It will be very different for us as it’s a movie night! Please follow directions for responding. www.ourhrsite.com/hrw_RSVP.html
I’ve written previously about how you can earn HRCI recertification credits through blogging on our page, http://ourhrsite.blogspot.com. Laurie Bell has contributed several links to her blog and that’s been terrific! Thanks, Laurie!
Hoping to offset some of the costs of paying for our group’s domain and updating software, I’ve been an Amazon Associate for a few years and the few times people have bought items using our link, I have received a small amount of money. (Very, very small.) Last month, Amazon discontinued the program in California to protest our new Internet sales tax.
We’ll lose very little, but many other businesses will suffer significantly. My husband and I go to classes and the teacher has had Amazon links for books on his site bringing in around $3K/year. Now he won’t have that.
I can argue both sides of the fence with sales tax and believe we should re-do the whole tax structure. When I sell ebooks, there is no tax, but if I sell you a physical copy of my book, there is a tax. Sales tax varies even from city to city and I took a ½ day workshop on sales taxes. Here’s a PDF with tax guidelines for the dining and beverage industry. http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub22.pdf It’s just crazy-making. Is it time yet for another revolution?
If one of your favorite websites based in California had Amazon links, you might look at some of their other links to help them a bit.
Now back to the mailing.
REMINDER ANNOUNCEMENT: You can earn HRCI recertification points through blogging and I’ve set up a site so you can be an occasional blogger. http://ourhrsite.blogspot.com You are responsible for adhering to their guidelines, and I cannot guarantee your points.
- Read the HRCI information: www.hrci.org/Page.aspx?id=6442451796
- If you’d like to post, write your piece to the HRCI specifications. (My first post is opinion and does not meet their criteria.) Email your post to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the subject line, your bio and links to your LinkedIn page and/or website/s. I will not edit posts but will review them quickly if I have time. Otherwise, I’ll simply upload.
- You can subscribe to the blog, share it on Facebook or Tweet it. Let’s get this off the ground!
Discounts are on our website.
A few of our pages have a “ShareThis” buttons on the upper left side of the page. If you’d like to repost on some of the other sites, this is an easy way to do so.
We have a resource page with links and downloads for job seekers.
In addition to this volunteer work, I have to earn a living. Unfortunately, I can’t mentor you, and please don’t send me unsolicited resumes. I wish I had the time to individually mentor you, but I don’t. With the time I take for this group, my work and my books, I don’t have time left over. Come to an event and meet someone who can help. I receive a lot of unsolicited resumes (from our group and strangers) and if I’m recruiting for a position or I’m paid to work on the resume, that’s one thing, but other than that, I’ve got other things on my plate. I refer people to the forum at www.ourhrsite.com/forum. See the blog: http://marciastein.blogspot.com/2009/02/setting-boundaries-and-professionalism.html
Thanks to Karen Duffy for planning last month’s event featuring Professor Joyce Osland. Learning more about change management was useful for personal and professional purposes. www.ourhrsite.com/hrw_past_speakers.html
1. HR Women & Friends Community Event: Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 6:30-9:00 p.m.2. Discounts
3. Using our Bulletin Board (Forum)
4. Spam Filter Alert
5. To change you email address
7. Additional Links and Information
1. HR Women & Friends Community Event: Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 6:30-9:00 p.m.We’re having a movie night! See details at www.ourhrsite.com/hrw_RSVP.html.
2. Discounts and Offers – view them at ourhrsite.com/hrw_discounts.html.Please note: any discounts for health related products or services are solely used at your own discretion. The group and I have no responsibility for these services or products. Thanks for extending the discounts to our group!
3. Using our Bulletin Board (Forum)When you contact me regarding jobs, events, and other issues, I refer to our Forum at www.ourhrsite.com/forum.
You can view all messages without registering, but you must register to reply or post a message. You are not automatically registered because you receive this email – it is separate software. Please review the Terms and Conditions available under any topic on the forum. It’s your responsibility to keep track of your user name and password, and if you change email addresses, please log in and update your profile. If privacy is an issue, please be careful when you post anything: use a separate email if necessary and you can skip your street address if you’d like.
4. SPAM Filter Alert: please add email@example.com to your address book.
5. To change your email address, send your old and new addresses to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. UnsubscribeTo discontinue mailings please respond with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. If you receive mail at more than one email address, please note all addresses to delete.
7. Additional Links and Information:Randy Pausch was dying of pancreatic cancer, and as is the tradition at many universities, he gave a “last lecture.” His lecture was created for his young children but delivered to his class. www.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/
Don’t have insurance? Breast Cancer Connections in Palo Alto WILL HELP YOU! www.bcconnections.org They’re also great if you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, have questions and need support.
Click daily on The Breast Cancer Site at www.thebreastcancersite.com and help support people who don’t have insurance or money for mammograms. You can send free postcards to a person serving our country. www.letssaythanks.com Build your vocabulary and send rice to hungry people through the United Nations! http://freerice.com If you want to donate to the community, many people need your help. You can evaluate many organizations at Charity Navigator www.charitynavigator.org.
Potential speakers/topics. Our volunteers select speakers and topics in January. You can still send ideas for speakers or topics with the understanding that this will be considered at the planning meeting next year. If you want to publicize an event you can do so for free on our bulletin board.
Notifying us of upcoming events and discounts. If you email me right after I’ve sent a mailing, I can update the website, but I can’t send a separate mailing to the group. It will be in the next mailing. Please keep this in mind and plan ahead.
I hope to see you at an upcoming event.
All the best,
Marcia Stein, PHR - www.linkedin.com/in/marciastein
Author: Strained Relations: Help for Struggling Parents of Troubled TeensBlog: http://strainedrelations.wordpress.com
Recruiters on Recruiting
Silicon Valley Women in Human Resources...and Friendswww.ourhrsite.com