Monday, March 18, 2019

Silicon Valley Women in HR...& Friends Mailing and Event Announcement

Dear Friends,

I hope you’re well.

In addition to a few general comments, I’m providing details for our April event. Please scroll down if you’d like to skip to event announcements and their links.

Many thanks to Marilyn Messer for planning our kick-off dinner. It was a very stormy night and I’m glad some hearty souls joined us. Making those connections are so fulfilling and I was happy to have a chance to connect.

In each mailing, I write about something I hope you’ll find relevant and interesting. This time it’s about discrimination and hatred.

As a young girl, our family lived in the segregated South. The Civil Rights Movement was active and I was aware of the news and integration. My family lived in a rural area and the only Black person I knew was our grandmother’s nursemaid. (Grandma lived with us.) We were the only Jewish kids in our school and we got some comments and outright weird stuff. My parents had their own experiences with discrimination.

Our family loved musicals, and in that time period, we saw the movie “South Pacific.” There were many great songs but one in particular struck me as a child and has stayed with me. It’s called “You’ve Got to Be Carefully Taught” by Rogers and Hammerstein and the character describes how one is taught bigotry and hatred, that it’s not inherent in us. I’m providing two links, one with Oscar Hammerstein introducing the song as a performance, and one from the stage. I hope you take a couple of minutes to view them.

We learn it from others around us, from influences such as media and websites, from people we look up to such as older family members, some religious leaders and some politicians. We’re going to have to work hard to fix this and it’s going to take time. Meanwhile, I’m wishing for peace and understanding.

Event: April 17
Jane Kow Presents "#MeToo — Now What? Effective Investigations in 2019" 

Jane Kow is a fantastic labor attorney who has presented to our group and other local professional groups and is a popular speaker. Please see the details and RSVP on our Eventbrite page. 

Please join us on LinkedIn and Facebook

I hope to see you soon!

All the best,

Marcia

Author: "Strained Relations: Help for Struggling Parents of Troubled Teens" and "Recruiters on Recruiting” Site


No comments:

Post a Comment