We are Amazon Associates, and that means that if you use our link to purchase an item, we receive a small commission. Remember I said "small" and it in no way covers our web costs, but it's nice to help!
Here are the links, and thanks for clicking.
Shop Amazon's Cyber Monday Week
Shop Amazon's Gift Cards - Perfect Anytime
Shop Amazon's Gifting Page
Get $120 Off Amazon Kindle DX - Featuring Large 9.7â€ E Ink Display and Free 3G Wireless
Shop Amazon's New Kindle Fire
Shop Amazon's Kindle Accessories Store
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Sunday, November 6, 2011
The first part of this email is dedicated to updates and musings, so if you want to skip to the invitation, discounts, and other information, please scroll down.
It feels like a long time since I’ve seen you or written a long note to you. We went to France in September and the activity leading up to the trip then our return with a lot of catch-up at work and at home had me stretched to the limits when my computer died. I had a little warning that it was the hard drive, and I backed up like crazy in two places and bought a new computer. Do you ever feel like you need an IT expert to get your simple laptop going?
Each step of this new computer has been challenging in surprising ways. This computer did not recognize many of my old programs, and that had an impact on our website. SO…THE BIG NEWS: our website is moving to Blogger for the time being. We’re at http://ourhrsite.blogspot.com, a site I started so we could write about HR topics and people could receive HRCI recertification points for that. (Scroll down for more info.) It seemed a convenient place to put our extended mailings, and now we have the event information and registration on the site, too. There is a list of pages on the right hand side of the site, and you can explore and find most of the information we previously had up there. I’m still migrating it, and we still have the old site at www.ourhrsite.com/hrindex.html if there is something in particular you need.
I saw an obituary today for Krista Henley. She and Rossella Derickson spoke to our group about "Dealing with the Difficult Boss - Shifting to Successful Interactions." They presented useful information and I remember having great feedback about the event. Their presentation is a download on our Previous Speakers page. She had a recurrence of her breast cancer after being free and clear for many years, and when we exchanged notes last year, she wrote that her biggest concern was for her kids. She died October 11, and there will be a celebration of life at 2:00 Sunday, November 13 at the Chaminade Resort in Santa Cruz. In lieu of flowers, the family requested that donations be made to accounts set up to help support her children. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org for an automated response with instructions.
Now back to the mailing.
REMINDER ANNOUNCEMENT: You can earn HRCI recertification points through blogging and I’ve set up this site so you can be an occasional blogger. You are responsible for adhering to their guidelines, and I cannot guarantee your points.
· Read the HRCI information
· If you’d like to post, write your piece to the HRCI specifications. (My first post is opinion and does not meet their criteria.) Email your post to email@example.com and be sure to include the subject line, your bio and links to your LinkedIn page and/or website/s. I will not edit posts but will review them quickly if I have time. Otherwise, I’ll simply upload.
· You can subscribe to the blog, share it on Facebook or Tweet it. Let’s get this off the ground!
This site has sharing buttons on the side of the page. If you’d like to repost on some of the other sites, this is an easy way to do so.
In addition to this volunteer work, I have to earn a living. Unfortunately, I can’t mentor you, and please don’t send me unsolicited resumes. I wish I had the time to individually mentor you, but I don’t. With the time I take for this group, my work and my books, I don’t have time left over. Come to an event and meet someone who can help. I receive a lot of unsolicited resumes (from our group and strangers) and if I’m recruiting for a position or I’m paid to work on the resume, that’s one thing, but other than that, I’ve got other things on my plate. I refer people to the forum at www.ourhrsite.com/forum. See the blog post for more thoughts.
1. HR Women & Friends Event: Wednesday, November 16, 2011, 6:30-9:00 p.m.
3. Using our Bulletin Board (Forum)
4. Spam Filter Alert
5. To change you email address
7. Additional Links and Information
1. HR Women & Friends Event: Wednesday, November 16, 2011, 6:30-9:00 p.m.Karen Duffy and DiAnn Walker will be leading us in a discussion of HR Best Practices. Please see the invitation for details and the registration form.
2. Discounts and Offers – view them online. Discounts for health related products or services are solely used at your own discretion. The group and I have no responsibility for these services or products. Thanks for extending the discounts to our group!
3. Using our Bulletin Board (Forum) When you contact me regarding jobs, events, and other issues, I refer to our Forum at www.ourhrsite.com/forum. You can view all messages without registering, but you must register to reply or post a message. You are not automatically registered because you receive this email – it is separate software. Please review the Terms and Conditions available under any topic on the forum. It’s your responsibility to keep track of your user name and password, and if you change email addresses, please log in and update your profile. If privacy is an issue, please be careful when you post anything: use a separate email if necessary and you can skip your street address if you’d like.
4. SPAM Filter Alert: please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book.
5. To change your email address, send your old and new addresses to me at email@example.com.
6. Unsubscribe To discontinue mailings please respond with "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line. If you receive mail at more than one email address, please note all addresses to delete.
7. Additional Links and Information:
Randy Pausch was dying of pancreatic cancer, and as is the tradition at many universities, he gave a “last lecture.” His lecture was created for his young children but delivered to his class.
Don’t have insurance? Breast Cancer Connections in Palo Alto WILL HELP YOU! They’re also great if you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer, have questions and need support.
Free Giving: Click daily on The Breast Cancer Site and help support people who don’t have insurance or money for mammograms. You can send free postcards to a person serving our country. Build your vocabulary and send rice to hungry people through the United Nations! If you want to donate to the community, many people need your help. You can evaluate many organizations at Charity Navigator.
Potential speakers/topics. Our volunteers select speakers and topics in January. You can still send ideas for speakers or topics with the understanding that this will be considered at the planning meeting next year. If you want to publicize an event you can do so for free on our bulletin board.
Notifying us of upcoming events and discounts. If you email me right after I’ve sent a mailing, I can update the website, but I can’t send a separate mailing to the group. It will be in the next mailing. Please keep this in mind and plan ahead.
I hope to see you at an upcoming event.
All the best,
Marcia Stein, PHR - www.linkedin.com/in/marciastein
Author: Strained Relations: Help for Struggling Parents of Troubled Teens
Recruiters on Recruiting
Silicon Valley Women in Human Resources...and Friendswww.ourhrsite.com